Happy May! I’m sharing a bright, sunny set of Spring photos today. Let’s review what’s been going on lately, shall we?
1. Knights baseball is officially Uptown. My parents came down from DC the week before Easter and we did lotsa fun Charlotte things (see the NASCAR Hall of Fame at #8 below). My folks are big baseball fans, so a trip to see the new ballpark and the Knights play was the perfect evening (even if it was chilly…April’s weather was moody!). We drank beers, ate hot dogs, nachos and funnel cake (oh my!), snuggled under a blanket, watched the Knights lose, and enjoyed the beautiful views of Uptown!
2. Living down the street from Hawthorne’s Pizza will be the death of me (if it is possible to die from cheese and bread overdose). Splitting the Sicilian pizza with a friend was an after run reward last week, along with a beer on the patio on a nice Spring evening.
3. I visited a lot of new (to me) Charlotte restaurants while my folks were here. A stop had to be made at John’s Country Kitchen for breakfast. The meal was simple and delicious. I really can’t get enough of this family owned Plaza Midwood joint.
4. The baking skills in the family really belong to my sister, but when I had a tremendous sugar craving last week I wanted to whip up a dessert. I went with lemon bars because lemon is one of my favorite flavors in desserts and I had all the ingredients on hand (you really don’t want to know how much butter and sugar went into these). I was actually quite proud of myself and they were so tasty, I made another batch a few days later.
5. Carolina in the spring. I was in the Triangle last weekend visiting my friend Andrea and running the Tarheel 10 Miler. After the race (which took us all around campus and Chapel Hill) we strolled through campus and grabbed a beer and some food at Top of the Hill. I love the azaleas!
6. I spent Easter whitewater rafting. I bought a season pass to the Whitewater Center, and I’m looking forward to a lot of spring and summer days filled with biking, kayaking and rafting.
7. 10 miles is a lot of miles! We’re cheesin’ at the end of the Tarheel 10 Miler in Kenan Stadium.
8. See #1 above. I took Thursday off of work, and after a hearty breakfast at John’s, Dad and I hung out at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. It was my second visit (I went last year with a group of girlfriends from college and law school). I’m not a NASCAR fan and know very little about NASCAR, but the Hall of Fame is a super fun place and experience (They have a ton of informative exhibits and interactive exhibits–including the pit crew, racing a car, and Dad got to waive the checkered flag). I highly recommend checking it out, even if you’ve lived in Charlotte for years, it’s a Charlotte must do!
9. A few weeks ago, we spent the afternoon eating our weight in food at Charlotte Food Fight–a food truck competition in South End. For $35, we got tastings from all 12 trucks followed up but a massive food coma (pictured is my last meal, ice cream from Sticks and Cones). But it was worth it–the food was tasty, the day was beautiful, the event was fun and all proceeds went to a good cause (Relay for Life)!!!
May will bring lots of great things: posts about my time in Charleston and the Triangle, a trip down to Wilimington and Wrightsville Beach for work, and Off the Eaten Path’s one year anniversary!!