Happy, happy Friday!!!
This week has just. dragged. on. forever. I’ve been thinking it was Friday since Tuesday, so I’m thrilled it’s finally almost the weekend. My weekend will be a healthy mix of fun and relaxation (some beers in honor of St. Paddy’s day and a brunch on Sunday to send a coworker off to California) and I hope some warmer temperatures and sunshine. Rain, rain, go away!
Let’s catch up with some snapshots from early March.
1. Last Saturday was the first Saturday AJ hasn’t had to work since the New Year started, so we ignored all of the things we really had to do (errands, house cleaning, laundry) and spent the sunny Saturday in South End. We made a couple stops including some late afternoon pints at Sycamore Brewing. Sycamore is definitely popular; it was busy and there was a long wait for a beer (Sycamore is working on alleviating the waits by opening some outdoor bars), but the wait was worth it. Their Salty Coconut Red Ale is on point.
2. Got to Be NC Competition Dining Series is coming back to Charlotte this Spring, featuring a dual bracket series with 24 chefs. I highly suggest buying tickets to one of the 22 fun, interactive and delicious dining events which feature two chefs battling it out using secret ingredients from North Carolina. You can read all about my great experience last year here (this snap is from last year’s battle between Chef Brian Mottola of e2 and Chef Tom Dyrness of Mama Ricotta’s).
3. It’s no secret that Amelie’s is the spot to grab treats to satisfy your sweet tooth. I picked up an assortment of delights from Amelie’s a few weeks ago (including coconut macaroons and salted caramel brownies) for a girls’ night.
4. We’ve had such a mild week that I can’t resist a good excuse to get out of the office and into the sunshine. I visited South Park Eats Alternative on Wednesday for lunch and chowed down on some delicious pork belly tacos from Bleu Barn Bistro.
5. Le Meridien Charlotte knows how to throw a good party, and I had a lot of fun at their grand opening in early March. Highlights included samples of crude and pasta served at Evoke, a bourbon room, creative cocktails, living art, and a latte artist who made a nod to the QC with this Hugo the Hornet latte.
6. I enjoyed a flight of different brews on Craft Growler Shop’s patio last weekend.
7. We kicked off our day of fun with brunch at Draught in the Third Ward near Bank of America Stadium. Draught’s highlights include a mimosa bar with five different fruit juices; you can get a bottle of champs for the table for $15 and then get to pick and choose to make your own. I was a fan of the grapefruit, pineapple and mango juice.
8. A few months ago we bought a coupon for dinner at Osso, and finally used it for a low key date night last week. We enjoyed dinner at Blue so much had to check to the Italian fare made by Chef Gene Briggs. I can’t resist a good scallop dish so ordered scallops over sweet potato fettucini with bacon, brown butter and chard.